Tuesday 27 January 2009

Power dressing




I have recently re-watched Annie Hall, for what would be the 10th time, and one of the many reasons I'm drawn to the film is Diane Keaton's characters way of constructing her wardrobe. She borrowed heavily from men's wardrobes, as wore baggy trousers, blazers, vests, ties, oversize shirts and floppy hats. Every decade this androgyny look repeats itself on the catwalks to the high street, in various incarnations.

To create the look costume designer Ruth Morley worked with Ralph Lauren to create the preppy masculine look. Recently brogue shoes have resurfaced and they look great with a pair of skinny jeans, over sized t-shirt and waistcoat, which appears to be the 21st century girls take on Annie Hall. I need to start wearing my baggy trousers which I purchased a few seasons back and have rarely come out to play as I live in dresses. But having been re inspired by Annie Hall and Yohiji Yamamoto's recent collection I might start playing being a boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment